Motor Insurance Green Card – Possible Requirement for 2021

As a consequence of leaving the European Union (EU), the UK entered a transition period which ends on 31 December 2020. Irrespective of whether there is an agreement on the future relationship between the UK and EU, there will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card when driving in Europe when the transition period ends. In the event that the transition period is extended, the requirement to carry a Green Card, may also be deferred as it has been previously.

However, the legal requirement is that any UK motorist who wishes to drive their vehicle outside the UK at the conclusion of the transition period must carry a Green Card if they are driving in the European Economic Area (EEA,) along with Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland to provide the necessary proof of insurance. A traditional motor insurance certificate will no longer be sufficient to prove that your vehicle is insured. If you intend to tow a trailer or caravan, you will need a separate Green Card for both the trailer and the towing vehicle.

Drivers with a UK driving licence travelling in the EU and EEA Countries may also need to obtain an IDP (International Driving Permit).

If you plan to take any vehicle into the countries mentioned after the 1st January 2021, or if you leave before this date but will be overseas after 1st January 2021, you should contact your usual motor insurance provider in order to source the correct documentation or for any advice you may need.

If we have placed your motor insurance, please get in touch as soon as possible, in order that we may assist you as it can take time for your insurer to issue the appropriate documents. You can click here to get in touch with our team.

For more information call 0151 255 2600 or email